Saturday, August 22, 2009

Conquer your worry - Part 2

Preface

I intended to write the second part of "Conquer your worry" sequel couple of weeks back. However, I got busy with dinner appointments, trip planning and speech preparation. Finally, I wrote the draft version on the flight to Alaska. (Yup! watch out my Travel blog re: my trip to Alaska). Hope you had a chance to read the first part and able to triumph over at least few of your worries, if not all. If you need some tips on living in the present moment then get in touch with me. I can provide some information and help you in however way I can. Well, let's look at the basic techniques in analyzing worry.

Basic techniques in analyzing worry

In chapter 4, Dale Carnegie discusses the steps to analyze the problem(s). Problem analysis is critical, as at least 50% of the time we tend to make "immediate" decision to get rid of the problem without really understanding it. Here are the three steps:
  1. Get the facts. As mentioned earlier, half the worry is caused by people trying to make decisions before thay have sufficient knowledge on which to base a decision. It's interesting that this simple step knocks of half of our worries.
  2. Analyze the facts. Well, this step is obvious.
  3. Arrive at the decision based on the facts and then act on that decision. Enough of theory; let's see couple of things we could put into practice.
In the next chapter, Mr. Carnegie provides us 4 questions to ask when we confront a worry. Here are those:
  1. What am I worrying about?
  2. What can I do about it?
  3. Here is what I am going to do about it? (decision)
  4. When am I going to start doing it? (act immediately)

You could create a template using the above questions with some space for answers or memorize these questions. Whenever you become aware of a worry, then answer these questions either on paper or in your mind. This exercise should yield more clarity about your worry and aid in making an appropriate decision.

In the last chapter of part 2, Mr. Carnegie recommends to do the following, similar to the one mentioned above, exercise when we worry about a problem. This too comprises of four questions.

  1. What is the problem?
  2. What is the cause of the problem?
  3. What are the possible solutions?
  4. What is the best solution?


Now, let me expand on the second question i.e., cause of the problem. Here, you could employ the "Five Whys" process. This process is heavily practiced in Toyota Organization and helps them in address the real cause of the problem and reduces reoccurence of poor quality products. Whenever we encounter a problem we should ask five "why" questions to find out the "root cause" of the problem. If we don't get to the root of the problem, we may address the problem at the superficial level, but in long run the real problem will pop up again. I read about the "Five Whys" process in my Operations course during the MBA program, but you could find more about it by googling.

I must admit that the above-mentioned exercises are similar. I believe, Mr. Carnegie's intention is to repeat it, so that it sticks to our mind. After all "repetition" is one of the techniques to remember things and improve our memory.

"In a day when you don’t come across any problems – you can be sure that you are traveling in a wrong path." – Swami Vivekananda

No comments: