Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Conquer your worries - Part 1

Preface

It's two months, since I am done with my MBA and I haven't read even a single book. Although I borrowed couple of books from library, it only costed me a return trip as I didn't allocate time to read them :-(. I was really concerned about wasting time without reading books and sipping few droplets of the vast literature ocean. This week, I vowed to myself that I would at least read few chapters of Dale Carnegie's book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living." Now, that I have read few chapters (touch wood), I thought that the profound concepts in the book would be helpful to other souls as well. My current plan is to write only first few chapters of the book, as my intentions are to bring basic awareness to conquer worries and kindle interest to read the book. What I found really interesting was the alignment of concepts outlined in this book with the spirituality concepts that I heard/learned from my Guru, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. I'll compare both the concepts wherever applicable. The concepts as such as simple, but the challenge is to discipline ourselves to follow these concepts. Well, enough for preface, let me jump to first part of this sequel.

Fundamental facts you should know about worry (Part 1)

Dale Carnegie begins the book with a basic principle that would help us conquer our worries. Live in day tight compartments - he recommends us to shut the iron doors of past and future and just live the present day. My Guru and, I believe, all the enlightened people, also preach that to be happy one should always "live in present moment." Mr. Carnegie quotes numerous real stories to substantiate this principle. Sound simple? In fact it is not. If you notice young kids, they almost always live in the present moment. There is no concept of time at that age. However, when we grew older we have been conditioned about the past and future and we dwell most of our time in those. [Note: Neither I nor the author (& my Guru) advocate to stop planning for future. You should always have a vision/mission in your life.] If there is one take away that you would like from this blog, then that should be this basic principle: Be aware and live in present moment.

In the second chapter, Mr. Carnegie discusses the Magic formula that can help to overcome our worries. First, when you are worried about something ask this question: "What is the worst that can possibly happen?" Once you have an answer, then prepare to accept it, if you have to. Once you have accepted the worst, you will immediately feel better, relieved and relaxed. Now, calmly proceed to improve on the worst. That's the crux of this chapter. Again, Mr. Carnegie quotes numerous real life examples to illustrate this Magic formula.

The essence of the third chapter is "Those who don't know how to fight worry die young." Worry not only creates lot of mental stress, but also complex diseases such as high blood pressure, heart problems, stomach ulcers, etc. Though, this sounds silly, I could vouch for this as I am currently witnessing this personally. Perhaps, I would write about it some other time.

To recap, remember three things:
  1. Live in present moment
  2. Apply the Magic formula (What is the worst that could happen? accept it and act to improve it)
  3. Those who don't know how to fight worry die young
Hope you find these concepts helpful and looking forward for to hear your experience about this topic from you.

Will write about the next part soon, until then "Be happy and make others happy." :-)

No comments: